Friday, August 12, 2005

The Art of Communication

It really is an art! Especially when you make up for lack of content with verbosity in speech. Am I an expert at it? I really dunno, but I sure am getting enough practice during the weekly status meetings at office.

The status meeting teleconference (tcon) is a weekly half-hour ritual where I get to speak for all of 3 minutes. So it is kinda depressing if my content isn't voluminous enough to push my airtime beyond 30 seconds. The alternative? - 'Communicate'....

Client Onsite - "So lets move to the Chennai team next! Jonas, are you there?"

Me - "Yes, XXXX, Iam here. Well, during the last week, I've been trying to find more efficient means of carrying out our testing. I first installed this new tool YYYY which looks very promising. I carried out a few dry runs and it does seem to give better results. Iam yet to quantify the actual benefits we would get out of it, but Iam working on it. But on the whole, I think this tool would serve our purpose very well. I believe our performance could be improved many times by going for this tool. The exact figures Iam hopeful of presenting to you in the next tcon, but yes, this looks very promising....blah blah...., 2 minutes.......blah blah,.....and that's the week's report from my side."

Client Onsite - "Err....thanks, Jonas! Great job!"

What a farce!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nobody said...

Just happened to pass by and decided to say hello!

Happy blogging........

1:54 PM  
Blogger The Man Who Wasnt There said...

well you already "sound" like a manager! :P:P prolixity sans content!;) But then guess that's the way it is....like I feigned "insomnia" and/or "sleep sickness" for coming late regularly :P

6:16 PM  
Blogger John Bedford Solomon said...

To make your make life count,

Spend it on things that count the most to you.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home